Strengthening Nonprofits - Advancing The Grant Profession
The Grant Professionals Foundation’s Board of Directors demanded a “bill of rights” that would spell out the immunities and expectations of individual donors. The Board of Directors, drawing on the “donor rights” of similar organizations, put forth the following Declaration of Donor Rights to assure that the grant profession’s philanthropy efforts merit the trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the non-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support. Thus, the Board of Directors declares that all donors have the right:
- To be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
III. To have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements and annual reports.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate and timely acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
VII. To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
VIII. To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing and emailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
- To be assured that all online transactions and contributions occur through a safe, private, and secure system that protects the donor’s personal information.
Approved at the regular meeting of the Grant Professionals Foundation Board of Director’s meeting on November 25, 2009.